Saturday, July 01, 2006

TAXI DRIVER

Fifteen years ago a hindi movie named Sadak was realeased starring Sanjay Dutt and Pooja bhatt. I watched the movie and was going through the review of the movie in a film magazine and remember that the the author of that film review had compared this movie to an Hollywood movie 'Taxi Driver'. Since then I had read a lot about this Martin Scorsese movie but was never been able to watch it. I used to check with all CD rental shops but could not get this film.
Today morning as usual I searching for good film in the video rental shop and to my surprise I saw the DVD of ' Taxi Driver'. I immediately rented the DVD, went home and watched it. After watching the movie, I could easily make out why this is rated as one of the masterpiece by Martin Scorsese and Robert De Niro team.
It is really a hard hitting also disturbing movie. The film did not win any academy award though it was nomintated in some categories. The entire story of the movie can be best described by the tagline of the movie - "On every street in every city, there's a nobody who dreams of being a somebody." Robert De Niro gives a wonderful performance as nighttime taxi driver Travis Bickle, a mentally unstable, but rather special guy who wants to clean up the politics and crime in New York city. I am going to give some of the quotes from the movie.

  • Travis Bickle: The days go on and on... they don't end. All my life needed was a sense of someplace to go. I don't believe that one should devote his life to morbid self-attention, I believe that one should become a person like other people.
  • Travis Bickle: June twenty-ninth. I gotta get in shape. Too much sitting has ruined my body. Too much abuse has gone on for too long. From now on there will be 50 pushups each morning, 50 pullups. There will be no more pills, no more bad food, no more destroyers of my body. From now on will be total organization. Every muscle must be tight.
  • Travis Bickle [Into the mirror]: You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? Then who the hell else are you talkin' to? You talkin' to me? Well, I'm the only one here. Who do the fuck do you think you're talking to? Oh, yeah? Ok.
  • Travis Bickle: I'll tell you why. I think you're a lonely person. I drive by this place a lot and I see you here. I see a lot of people around you. And I see all these phones and all this stuff on your desk. It means nothing. Then when I came inside and I met you, I saw in your eyes and I saw the way you carried yourself that you're not a happy person. And I think you need something. And if you want to call it a friend, you can call it a friend.
    Betsy: Are you gonna be my friend?
    Travis Bickle: Yeah.

Check this video.


1 Comments:

Blogger Madhu said...

Sudhi
Fantastic review...I think including the dialogues and the link for the video (thanks for that) makes it worthwhile.

I knew nothing about this movie when I first watched it and I started watching 15mins into the start...while flicking channels. And the gut-wrenching negativity got to me and I watched on. The scene that knocked me off was when Travis appears at the public rally in his nazi getup, 'ready' to afflict danger! gosh what a movie...

Try and watch other De Niro movies - Goodfellas and Deer Hunter (former by Scorcese - it's a cult gangster movie)

1:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Site Counter
Free Counters